Monday, May 02, 2005

Empty Room

No, Empty Room is not just a wonderful and obscure Prince song, but it's what I was facing on Friday night as I sat and waited for people to arrive for my show. Talk about sweating it! Every second that passed my stomach got more sick at the sight of the dreadfully empty room. I could feel the owner staring at me, thinking ... "where the hell is your crowd, Saturn?" I could feel the band thinking the same thing. Well, that's a good question ... where were they? The last time I was there I brought about 80 people myself, the openers brought 10 and Tim Kaye brought 100, so we had PACKED house. I wasn't expecting that, but I WAS expecting about 40 people, which would have been great. I'd done everything I knew to do to promote the show, made my phone calls, passed out flyers, had mutliple ads in the papers, but yet there we sat at 9:45 and not one single person in sight. I thought I was going to be sick. Thankfully, a couple of my friends showed up and they brought someone with them. I was jumping for joy for 3 people, that's how bad it was.

All and all, I drew in 10 or 11 people. One of the other bands drew in 20 while the other 2 bands, to my knowledge, didn't draw any. Thank God, we met the minimum or else I would have owed the club money! As it was, I couldn't pay my band members anything. And who knows if the Royal will have me back now.

At least the show was good. We were much more together than last time, even without a keyboardist, we could actually hear each other, and since I had had a drink to calm my nerves, I was very relaxed and free and jumping all over the stage. AND I got it all on camera thanx 2 my friend Cinderella.

2 all my friends who showed up Friday (all 10 of u), THANK U THANK U THANK U! Without U there ... well ... I just don't even wanna think about it!

This weekend I took time 2 unpack, 2 rest and relax and clear my mind. And oh yeah, started work on another 2 songs for my studio session on Tuesday. Does it ever end? Am I possessed or what?

"How am I gonna fill this empty room?" - Prince, Empty Room

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home